2021 BNP Paribas Open...ATP 1000...Indian Wells, California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stotty View Post

What a test for for both players...for different reasons.

Very accurate analysis. I also watched 2 out of the 3 sets before retiring to bed. Murray really made it difficult for Alcaraz to hit him off by finding a much better length in the second set. And, yes, those two epic holds were pivotal in him winning the match. Murray's experience was certainly one of deciding factors.

I can't believe how well Alacaraz plays for spells in his matches. Brutal power. Another couple of years and I think we will be looking at a hell of a player...and he's so athletic and fast!
    I think he is already in the conversation at FO, along with Nadal, Novak, Tsitsipas, Ruud.

Comment

Quite a high quality slugfest going on Lloyd Harris vs Ruud.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
        Quite a high quality slugfest going on Lloyd Harris vs Ruud.
        It certainly is...a slugfest that is. Seems like just about everyone on the tour can hit forehands a thousand miles an hour these days. Are ball speeds going up again of late? Seems that way. jimlosaltos might have the stats on that one.

You feel Harris is the more dominant player but he doesn't always win the big points. He's had Ruud on the ropes a number of time but hasn't broken his serve yet here in the second. Be interesting to see if Ruud can hang in and nick the second set against the run of play.
        Stotty

Comment

This is a great example of how this sport is the toughest ask out there. Harris played pretty much perfect tennis for a couple of hours, was up a set serving at 4-4 in the 2nd set. At 15 all, 2 double faults out of nowhere, followed by a shanked forehand. Ruud then serves out the set. On to the 3rd.
          Last edited by stroke; 10-11-2021, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Ruud wins 6-4 in 3rd. To me, the only thing separating them is the Ruud/Nadal mentality of only focusing on the next point, that is all they care about.

Comment

Ruud wins 6-4 in 3rd. To me, the only thing separating them is the Ruud/Nadal mentality of only focusing on the next point, that is all they care about.
              Give me Harris to watch any day...but I take your point. Harris was the better player for two thirds of that match but didn't win those critical points. Murray hung on yesterday against Alacaraz in much the same way and won the points/games (after a hell of a struggle) that were pivotal.
              Stotty

Comment

For Denis, that one will probably leave a mark.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

It certainly is...a slugfest that is. Seems like just about everyone on the tour can hit forehands a thousand miles an hour these days. Are ball speeds going up again of late? Seems that way. jimlosaltos might have the stats on that one.

You feel Harris is the more dominant player but he doesn't always win the big points. He's had Ruud on the ropes a number of time but hasn't broken his serve yet here in the second. Be interesting to see if Ruud can hang in and nick the second set against the run of play.
                  Interesting that you asked. ATP just started using the InfoSys system from Roland Garros, so we can presumably compare apples to apples. While the ATP implementation is ... how can I politely put this -- a steaming pile, we can get individual shot stats for "winners". I see multiple shots by Rudd at IW in the 120 MPH range, which was supposedly rare on the ATP. I also found 130 MPH winners from Zverev. That's important to me because we have correlation across three events - Roland Garros, San Diego, and Indian Wells -- with consistent numbers for two of the biggest hitters. That tends to rule out variables such as the balls, surface, playing conditions.

One problem with the ATP implementation, as it stands today, is that unlike RG it does NOT tell you what type of shot a given winner is. So, Zverev example here from the location, could that be an overhead instead of a regular groundstroke? Got me.

Fingers crossed that the ATP will improve its implementation. But this is progress for fans.

filedata/fetch?id=95676&d=1634062718&type=thumb

filedata/fetch?id=95677&d=1634062829&type=thumb
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.
                  Last edited by jimlosaltos; 10-12-2021, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Berrettini goes down in 2 to Fritz, who simply outplayed him. Broke Matteo 4 times, and Matteo really got hurt in 2nd serve percentage of points won. Fritz really worked over the Berrettini backhand, hurting him there the whole match.

Comment

Was there. Taylor played great. Berritini looked very slugish though

Comment

Berrettini definitely not at his best. Fritz looked great, but it certainly does not get any easier out there in these 1000's, Sinner up next.

Comment

I have Fritz/Sinner as match of the day. Sinner to me a future #1, Fritz, I have long liked his game. He could very well at least hit top 15 some day.

Comment

Grigor vs Medvedev, certainly food for thought. Grigor appears to me to have all the more enviable shots technique wise, yet we all know it would be a upset if he could somehow win.

Comment

Grigor vs Medvedev, certainly food for thought. Grigor appears to me to have all the more enviable shots technique wise, yet we all know it would be a upset if he could somehow win.
                              Well, Medvedev got the early break in a very focused opening game and is is now 4-3 up. I like the way Medvedev gets engaged early on and gets his nose in front. Not the prettiest game on the tour, but incredibly effective. Looks like yet another never-miss-a-ball-player will be number 1 in the world soon. Clearly this is the way to play these days.
                              Stotty

Comment

Funny outfit Dimitrov is wearing...looks just like a Wimbledon ball boy outfit.
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7668 users online. 6 members and 7662 guests.

Most users ever online was 139,261 at 09:55 PM on 08-18-2024.

Working...
                                X