2021 BNP Paribas Open...ATP 1000...Indian Wells, California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 BNP Paribas Open...ATP 1000...Indian Wells, California

Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

Pulling for Stefan Koslov to win his next qualifying round for him to make the main draw!

Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

DB -
    Koslov is an interesting case. Had some success as a junior and turned pro at a young age and is currently ranked at 253. His highest ranking was 115 and 2017. He's had a tough go of it as a pro. Not sure how much firepower he has.
    SeanO

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      https://www.atptour.com/en/scores/cu...ells/404/draws

Pulling for Stefan Koslov to win his next qualifying round for him to make the main draw!

https://www.atptour.com/en/scores/cu...alifierSingles
      Tough luck there. Koslov out in 3 to Eubanks. Dr. Ivo also out in second round, won 2 tiebreaks in the prior round, lost one today. Live by the 'Breaker, die by the 'Breaker.

Comment

Interesting early rounder for me is Botic van de Zandschulp, who generated some buzz at the USO. A bit surprised he didn't get a main draw wild card, Won round 1, over the perpetual lucky-loser entrant Polansky.

Alycia Parks also interests simply because the 20yo hit the fastest WTA serve at the US Open, 129 mph (tieing Venus for fastest ever there) and I'd never heard of her before that. Searching -- from Georgia, 6 ft 1 in.

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
          DB -
          Koslov is an interesting case. Had some success as a junior and turned pro at a young age and is currently ranked at 253. His highest ranking was 115 and 2017. He's had a tough go of it as a pro. Not sure how much firepower he has.
          SeanO
          yes...a most interesting case indeed. Interesting opponent as well...never heard of him. I watched a few games but got distracted by some Ben Hogan video or something. The opponent had a nice service motion and at 6’ 7” tall he was making a big impact on the match with it. Koslov’s motion has improved and he has physically matured since I last saw him but is far from being an imposing physical specimen. He may be spinning his wheels and mired in the 200 plus area on the ATP food chain.

don_budge

Comment

His opponent, Chris Eubanks, was the #1 player at Georgia Tech a few years ago when I was working there. I talked to him a couple of times. Chris has a big game and is a very good mover for 6'7", a nice young man.

Comment

Raining this AM

fm Craig on site

filedata/fetch?id=95629&d=1633713435&type=thumb
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Players are drying the courts right now (10:32 am) from @thaiguy84

filedata/fetch?id=95632&d=1633714408&type=thumb
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

The New "Big Three"...Jensen Brooksby, Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alvarez

I don't know about you, but to me it is the bottom half of the draw that has the charisma. If there is such a thing in modern tennis. I tend to believe that there isn't. In fact...there isn't anything resembling charisma. That sort of talent that is irresistible and hard not to watch. Keep in mind this comes from a guy who has spent the last ten plus years writing that any given match of the day is Roger Federer versus Anybody. Ok...one has to let go in life. My dear Father said to me the other day...nothing lasts forever. An admission I'm afraid. We all know the score.

But this Jensen character is the latest flavour of the day...the latest to get the hype light focused on him. Sinner had it for a while...it has waned just a tad but it still has him in its sights. Jannik has most importantly and significantly made a major adjustment in his service motion which I personally find most fascinating...even though the rest of the "brain trust" has yet to acknowledge such a thing. More interested in statistics. Spin rates. Zverev roughing up his girlfriends. That sort of thing. Of course there is Carlos Alvarez too. Is he the next...next? So the bottom half has it all over the top in this respect. And Brooksby is getting ready to tee it up with Alexander Zverev in probably the most important match of his career so far. He has the spotlight. He hasn't had that deer in the headlights look yet. Zverev is not out of his league at this early point in his career. So...game on! Bring it guys!
                  don_budge

Comment

I don't know about you, but to me it is the bottom half of the draw that has the charisma. If there is such a thing in modern tennis. I tend to believe that there isn't. In fact...there isn't anything resembling charisma. That sort of talent that is irresistible and hard not to watch. Keep in mind this comes from a guy who has spent the last ten plus years writing that any given match of the day is Roger Federer versus Anybody. Ok...one has to let go in life. My dear Father said to me the other day...nothing lasts forever. An admission I'm afraid. We all know the score.

But this Jensen character is the latest flavour of the day...the latest to get the hype light focused on him. Sinner had it for a while...it has waned just a tad but it still has him in its sights. Jannik has most importantly and significantly made a major adjustment in his service motion which I personally find most fascinating...even though the rest of the "brain trust" has yet to acknowledge such a thing. More interested in statistics. Spin rates. Zverev roughing up his girlfriends. That sort of thing. Of course there is Carlos Alvarez too. Is he the next...next? So the bottom half has it all over the top in this respect. And Brooksby is getting ready to tee it up with Alexander Zverev in probably the most important match of his career so far. He has the spotlight. He hasn't had that deer in the headlights look yet. Zverev is not out of his league at this early point in his career. So...game on! Bring it guys!
                    Good stuff. Since you mentioned Brooksby, here's what Reilly Opelka said about him in the Inside Tennis interview (I posted here separately)
                    The young guys are better than us, if I’m being honest. Korda is a hell of a player…Brooksby is brutal…He’s going to be a big second-week guy. [Brandon] Nakashima is as pure of a ball-striker as there is. The young guys are going to be the guys to beat, from the American standpoint…Korda’s dad was a great player – no offense to Seb but it’s hard not to be great. He grew up with a great tennis mind and he’s a nice kid. He’s got a nice build, a nice modern-day tennis frame…[But] I’d invest in Brooksby. He’s special, and could be No. 1.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Good stuff. Since you mentioned Brooksby, here's what Reilly Opelka said about him in the Inside Tennis interview (I posted here separately)
                      The young guys are better than us, if I’m being honest. Korda is a hell of a player…Brooksby is brutal…He’s going to be a big second-week guy. [Brandon] Nakashima is as pure of a ball-striker as there is. The young guys are going to be the guys to beat, from the American standpoint…Korda’s dad was a great player – no offense to Seb but it’s hard not to be great. He grew up with a great tennis mind and he’s a nice kid. He’s got a nice build, a nice modern-day tennis frame…[But] I’d invest in Brooksby. He’s special, and could be No. 1.
                      Good info and humbleness by Reilly. Korda just got pretty much routined by Tiafoe. JB could be Spanish, he reminds my of Ferrer. Great win for DB favorite Dan Evans in 3 sets over Kei in a typical 1st round Master's 1000 draw.
                      Last edited by stroke; 10-09-2021, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Nothing lasts forever. Haunting words as the winds of autumn blow across the open fields and through the trees in the forest indiscriminately. The leaves falling in droves...leaving bare trees to face that winter that is coming. Time to hibernate...in eternal hopes for a new spring. Just as the old "Big Four" is in various stages of disappearing from the show, the new are emerging and making waves of their own. Jannik Sinner, Carlos Alcaraz and now Jensen Brooksby. The New Kids on the Block. Gone is Roger Federer. The game is not the same. Rafael Nadal is a no show. Ditto for Novak Djokovic. At a big tournament often said to be the fifth major. It is only nature taking its course. Survival of the species. In this case the species is the ATP tennis tour. Ironically, Andy Murray is the only one of the original cast present and accounted for. He is going to meet the future tonight...in Carlos Alcaraz. Murray did super well to get past Adrianno Mannarino in straight routine sets. I thought Mannarino might have the deceptive qualities to get Andy on the wrong foot but didn't see the match. Could Andy return to his past form? It's unlikely and fitting that he meets Alcaraz tonight. Alcaraz has shown signs of brilliance and now he needs to demonstrate consistency. The consistency to perform at a higher level than his competition. The question of this match is...does Andy have what it takes to defuse the hot hand. He's plenty cagey...it will be a question of movement.

Sinner faces John Millman. I'm very interested in the new service motion. This is the highlight of all that is about to transpire this evening. Brooksby gets a shot at another big time name in Alexander Zverev. A perfect fit for Jensen. He's tasted enough success against some higher ranked players in the past several months to wet his appetite for big game. Zverev has matured and has dealt with that deer in the headlights syndrome but he is going to feel some pressure if Jensen shows up early to make a game of it. Zverev has steadied himself as of late. He is performing up to expectations in the big moments of tournaments. He is still vulnerable at times...to a lesser degree than the past though.
                        don_budge

Comment

Zverev played well just had too much power for JB. Sinner looked great vs Millman. No one has easier power on their forehand than Sinner to me. Murray great win over Alcaraz. Good match today, Denis vs Karatsev.

Comment

Watched sets 2 & 3 of Murray v. Alcaraz. Quite a battle with neither player at their best. Murray's serve was particularly off, but his returning was very solid. The court looks pretty slow. Two epic service holds from Murray (about 10mins each), one in each set, turned the momentum and somewhat frustrated Alcaraz, who had a poor break point conversion rate. Could have gone either way, but terrific for Murray's morale.

Comment

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
                              Watched sets 2 & 3 of Murray v. Alcaraz. Quite a battle with neither player at their best. Murray's serve was particularly off, but his returning was very solid. The court looks pretty slow. Two epic service holds from Murray (about 10mins each), one in each set, turned the momentum and somewhat frustrated Alcaraz, who had a poor break point conversion rate. Could have gone either way, but terrific for Murray's morale.
                              What a test for for both players...for different reasons.

Very accurate analysis. I also watched 2 out of the 3 sets before retiring to bed. Murray really made it difficult for Alcaraz to hit him off by finding a much better length in the second set. And, yes, those two epic holds were pivotal in him winning the match. Murray's experience was certainly one of deciding factors.

I can't believe how well Alacaraz plays for spells in his matches. Brutal power. Another couple of years and I think we will be looking at a hell of a player...and he's so athletic and fast!
                              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 10123 users online. 1 members and 10122 guests.

Most users ever online was 139,261 at 09:55 PM on 08-18-2024.

Working...
                              X