A Few Words on the Passing of Robert Lansdorp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few Words on the Passing of Robert Lansdorp

Let's get your thoughts on Barry Buss' article, "A Few Words on the Passing of Robert Lansdorp"

Really enjoyed this article about the great Robert Lansdorp from Barry. It's hard to believe a guy who coached five grand slam champions, with a personality to match, didn't start his own academy and rake in millions of dollars like Nick Bollettieri did. Or Rick Macci. Or Patrick Mouratoglou. I'm sure it was frustrating to him. Also the topspin revolution was probably a bummer as well. At least he was given a USTA Lifetime Achievement Award in 2005 and was honored as a Team USA Coaching Legend. ​Clearly a complicated man with rough edges who left a remarkable legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreycounts View Post
      Really enjoyed this article about the great Robert Lansdorp from Barry. It's hard to believe a guy who coached five grand slam champions, with a personality to match, didn't start his own academy and rake in millions of dollars like Nick Bollettieri did. Or Rick Macci. Or Patrick Mouratoglou. I'm sure it was frustrating to him. Also the topspin revolution was probably a bummer as well. At least he was given a USTA Lifetime Achievement Award in 2005 and was honored as a Team USA Coaching Legend. ​Clearly a complicated man with rough edges who left a remarkable legacy.
      I think I read one time he refused to let any players with a western grip play on his court(not sure if it is actually true). If so, that is taking a hard stand.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

I think I read one time he refused to let any players with a western grip play on his court(not sure if it is actually true). If so, that is taking a hard stand.
        That's funny, but not surprising if true. The game really shifted with the grips and topspin. He was right for his era where the Landsorp forehand was a real weapon. But things really changed with the grips and the strings and the frames. Now you get a guy like Giovanni Perricard blasting the ball looking nothing like the Lansdorp forehand. I saw Gio over the summer practicing and it was scary how hard he hit the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreycounts View Post

That's funny, but not surprising if true. The game really shifted with the grips and topspin. He was right for his era where the Landsorp forehand was a real weapon. But things really changed with the grips and the strings and the frames. Now you get a guy like Giovanni Perricard blasting the ball looking nothing like the Lansdorp forehand. I saw Gio over the summer practicing and it was scary how hard he hit the ball.
          Yes, someone like Lindsey Davenport was kind of a template for the Landsorp forehand.

Comment

image.png
            this is an excerpt from a book linked to Maria Sharapova.image.png
            image.png

Comment

image.png​\

Comment

at 57:29 he talks about how he would coach someone brand new. He said he would teach them western forehand. Open stance and closed stance forehand and backhand. On backhand he would teach continental with right hand and western with left hand

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8553 users online. 5 members and 8548 guests.

Most users ever online was 139,261 at 09:55 PM on 08-18-2024.

Working...
                X