The Real Issues in Building Technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Real Issues in Building Technique

Let's discuss Chris Lewit's latest article, "The Real Issues in Building Technique"

Very good article by Chris about building technique, when and if it should be done. A players confidence is critically important and if you start messing with making changes, it could lead to disaster. That's why it's vitally important to build a strong biomechanical base from a young age so major changes don't have to be made later in the players development. I was not aware of the six stages of change in the transtheoretical model, I always talked about the 4 stages of learning 1) "unconscious incompetence" - players not aware of the problem and doesn't think about it. 2) "conscious incompetence" - the player is now aware that there's a problem but still not able to do it. 3) "conscious competence" - the player has made the necessary changes but still has to think about it. 4) "unconscious competence" - the player has mastered the skill and doesn't think about it, they own it and it's natural.

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
      Very good article by Chris about building technique, when and if it should be done. A players confidence is critically important and if you start messing with making changes, it could lead to disaster. That's why it's vitally important to build a strong biomechanical base from a young age so major changes don't have to be made later in the players development. I was not aware of the six stages of change in the transtheoretical model, I always talked about the 4 stages of learning 1) "unconscious incompetence" - players not aware of the problem and doesn't think about it. 2) "conscious incompetence" - the player is now aware that there's a problem but still not able to do it. 3) "conscious competence" - the player has made the necessary changes but still has to think about it. 4) "unconscious competence" - the player has mastered the skill and doesn't think about it, they own it and it's natural.
      Thank you amigo!

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
        Those 4 stages are still valid and useful too!

Comment

The article was interesting to read, and I am a fan of the author's other work (for example, I have two of his books), but I found it hard to find any actionable take-aways from this article. Maybe it was written as a sort of overview/narrative rather than as instructional material, or maybe there will be follow ups with actionable advice in particular about the most difficult stages being 4 and 5 (action and maintenance)? I would certainly welcome those.

Comment

I tend to agree with Seano. If you can get the basics correct at the development stage it's really going to make things a lot easier later down the line. Last year I changed a talented 12-year-olds forehand from an extreme full western to semi western. It's a seismic change as the swing path is vastly different. It took 3 months, seeing him every other day for 30 minutes. Half way through I was still wondering whether I'd done the right thing as he had always managed well enough with his full western and it was his best shot. Balls were still flying everywhere a month into the project and I was beginning to wonder if I had made the right call.

Three months down the line, though, he was the owner of a type 3 and his forehand was greatly improved.

Two things made it doable. A huge commitment from myself and the student. He believed in me and the process. We mapped the whole thing out and gave ourselves a realistic span of time to achieve the goal, which included the cessation of tournaments for 3 months. Plus, he's talented and receptive to coaching and the process. He has a good temperament and a good IQ. All these things add up and help. I would never have embarked on the project without a committed student who was technically malleable.

I like Nick's comment: “It's not what you know as a coach that matters, it's how you deliver it baby!" I would adapt it slightly, “It's not what you know as a coach that matters, it's whether you can effectively 'apply' what you know''.
            Last edited by stotty; 10-09-2024, 05:16 AM.
            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by hybridfh View Post
              The article was interesting to read, and I am a fan of the author's other work (for example, I have two of his books), but I found it hard to find any actionable take-aways from this article. Maybe it was written as a sort of overview/narrative rather than as instructional material, or maybe there will be follow ups with actionable advice in particular about the most difficult stages being 4 and 5 (action and maintenance)? I would certainly welcome those.
              Thanks for this and your support. You raise an interesting point. I think you are right that I wrote this as an overview and introduction to the model rather than a full action plan.

This article is an excerpted chapter from my new book Winning Pretty, which is 17 chapters about how to transform technique. This article fits into the larger narrative of the book. If you have a specific questions about how to move player through the stages like 4 and 5, I’m happy to answer here. Maybe we can put in a follow-up article in another issue. I’ll talk to John about this.

I definitely have some actionable strategies that I have developed over the years that help me breakthrough with players. That would make a good follow up indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                I tend to agree with Seano. If you can get the basics correct at the development stage it's really going to make things a lot easier later down the line. Last year I changed a talented 12-year-olds forehand from an extreme full western to semi western. It's a seismic change as the swing path is vastly different. It took 3 months, seeing him every other day for 30 minutes. Half way through I was still wondering whether I'd done the right thing as he had always managed well enough with his full western and it was his best shot. Balls were still flying everywhere a month into the project and I was beginning to wonder if I had made the right call.

Three months down the line, though, he was the owner of a type 3 and his forehand was greatly improved.

Two things made it doable. A huge commitment from myself and the student. He believed in me and the process. We mapped the whole thing out and gave ourselves a realistic span of time to achieve the goal, which included the cessation of tournaments for 3 months. Plus, he's talented and receptive to coaching and the process. He has a good temperament and a good IQ. All these things add up and help. I would never have embarked on the project without a committed student who was technically malleable.

I like Nick's comment: “It's not what you know as a coach that matters, it's how you deliver it baby!" I would adapt it slightly, “It's not what you know as a coach that matters, it's whether you can effectively 'apply' what you know''.
                Grip changes are such a tough call at all levels and ages. Coaches ask me that question all the time: when should I change a grip? What grip to start with? I have a good podcast Grip Changes on my Prodigy Maker Show pod. I also have a good grip discussion on my podcast titled Djokovic, Swiatek, and the Western Grip.

Stream Swiatek, Djokovic, Nadal and the Western Grip - Prodigy Maker Show 74 by Chris Lewit on desktop and mobile. Play over 320 million tracks for free on SoundCloud.

Comment

Yes—it’s not what you know but are you able to transmit it to the student!

Comment

Yes—it’s not what you know but are you able to transmit it to the student?

Comment

Originally posted by hybridfh View Post
                      If you check out the earlier chapters in previous issues I lay out a model for building technique that would help during the action stage, including an emphasis on hand feeding early on, careful introduction to live ball hitting, and video analysis.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by clewit View Post

If you check out the earlier chapters in previous issues I lay out a model for building technique that would help during the action stage, including an emphasis on hand feeding early on, careful introduction to live ball hitting, and video analysis.

Thank you
                        Thanks Chris. Personally, and maybe for everyone, the hardest transition is within stage 4 and specifically moving from predictable feeds (whether ball machine or hitting with a coach who's trying to provide a reasonable ball) to live ball. As for video analysis, I use it constantly...I record almost everything except full matches (I'll record practice sets though) but the limitation there is that the video doesn't correct you in real time and it takes a lot of discipline to actually check the video frequently enough to not be practicing the wrong form given how easy it is to revert after a few reps. I appreciate there are likely no easy answers here, but any tips would be appreciated!

When I returned to tennis (which I was never good at or took seriously) as a busy adult, I spent three years changing from a deeply-ingrained nearly full western to what is now a mild semi western on the forehand (not to mention from a fake continental to a pretty strong continental on the serve, and from a semi-western to a strong eastern on the backhand) so I know technique changes can happen. Grip changes have their own challenges (mainly, losing all control and confidence haha) but in some ways they're easier to chip away at because you can check them in nearly real time; a lot harder to 'feel' whether my target one-handed backhand prep and fixing my slightly too-early release of the left hand are being implemented during a rally, you know?

Comment

hybrid, well said.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8528 users online. 4 members and 8524 guests.

Most users ever online was 139,261 at 09:55 PM on 08-18-2024.

Working...
                          X