Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore

Under this year's extra-crammed ATP schedule, the Beijing finals were today, Wednesday, while Singapore is already underway. Fognini won his first round match.

Zverev said that the conditions on the Asian swing, which used to be reasonably quick, are slowed substantially, and that they are using the "Wilson ball, which is quite soft". I did not know that Wilson's, which used to be lively have also been slowed down. That helps partially explain the relatively low first serve won numbers from Beijing.

Singapore's 128 man draw is here.

Sinner is opposite Zverev with Djokovic finally returned to play. Sinner and Alcaraz would meet in one semifinal ( on draw), while Djokovic is in the lower half, yet again avoiding those two until the end. The highest ranked players in Djokovic's quarter are Rublev 6 and Dimitrov 9.

Early round matches of note:

Alcaraz vs Jerry Shang
    Wawrinka vs Gio ! { We'll see how Perricard's serve, featured on TPN this month, holds up vs Stan the Man }
    Alex Michelsen vs Bu Yunchaokete ​of instant fame from Beijing. The winner will be Djokovic after his bye.

Tsitsipas gets a much needed hard fought win over Nishi. Last week winner Fils goes out in his 1st match of tournament. Novak vs Michelsen, Rune vs Berrenttini, and Rublev vs Mensik on tap for tomorrow.

Comment

Zverev, Sinner, Alcaraz all through.

Djokovic had a tough one as 20 yo Alex Michelsen took him to two tiebreaks, but Novak prevailed 7-(3) 7-6(9). Looks like Djokovic is serious about going for the year end event after de Minaur's health problems opened a window for him. Djoko just entered Paris.

19 yo Jakub Mensik upset Andrey Rublev - But it should be noted that Rublev just revealed he was "7 hours from having a limb amputated at the US Open", then flew from that to Asia.

If I was a professional tennis writer I'd have to leave it there, but since I'm just an online poster I can speculate wildly. Given that Rublev refused to say what happend or what line, I wonder if he had a thrombosis from violently hitting his leg with his racket after missing points?

Comment

How about Grigor in there. Did not know that.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
          https://photos.app.goo.gl/21eNz9MoPdNwUaTJ6

How about Grigor in there. Did not know that.
          That makes Grigor top 5 on the forehand side, top 6 on the backhand. Not bad for an old dude of 33 with out of date grips

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 6188 users online. 3 members and 6185 guests.

Most users ever online was 139,261 at 09:55 PM on 08-18-2024.

Working...
          X