Tokyo and Pekin, ATP 500's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stotty View Post
    I missed the match but will watch it on a replay. Apparently it was a stunningly high standard.
    Please share your thoughts when you do

Comment

Super high level tennis. I don't think I have ever seen Carlos play so aggressively. He outhit Sinner.
      Last edited by stroke; 10-02-2024, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
        https://photos.app.goo.gl/bC4aeT57cEEi4HVq8

Super high level tennis. I don't think I have ever seen Carlos play so aggressively. He outhit Sinner.
        Absolutely. Carlos had a clear plan and really went after it. None of the hesitance we saw at the Australian Open. I wish they'd shown some forehand speed numbers.

Still, at the end Sinner was up 6-5 Carlos serving, then in the tiebreak went ahead 3-0 and missed a service winner by inches that would have been 4-0.
        Woulda' Coulda'.

filedata/fetch?id=105604&d=1727979271&type=thumb

I was surprised to see in the final stats that Sinner actually won more points from the baseline, but Carlos was +12 at the net (19/31 vs 7/20) although Carlos had a ridiculous 55 winners vs 52 errors in 3 sets! -- better than doubling Jannik on his forehand ( 36 winners vs 17 )

I could say that was the difference but to me Sinner hasn't had his "A" service for a while. As good as Carlos' return game is, Sinner shouldn't be winning only 66% of first serves on a hard court IMGI,

filedata/fetch?id=105605&d=1727979271&type=thumb

#
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.
        Last edited by jimlosaltos; 10-03-2024, 03:13 PM.

Comment

No doubt it could have gone either way. They both played a hell of a match. Nothing really separates them.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
            No doubt it could have gone either way. They both played a hell of a match. Nothing really separates them.
            You might be interested by this online exchange the match inspired.

First Mats Wilander told Eurosport:

"I hope Roger, Novak and Rafa are not listening. But in terms of level, when Sinner and Alcaraz are at their best, there is no way anyone has ever played better tennis.

This inspired Alex Dolgopolov to post (from the Ukrainian war front, presumably over Starlink ? ):

Sorry Mats, I rarely watch any tennis lately, but accidentally watched these highlights and my opinion is probably worthless. Tend to strongly disagree, big 3 had way higher level of understanding the heights, pace changes and angles. On a good day would never pick present stars

Comment

Here is an 8:10 min YT highlight video of the Sinner-Alcaraz Beijing final that's well worth a watch, whether you've seen the match or not! From TennisTV

Comment

It is good to hear the thoughts of a couple of guys who were out there and really know what is up. To me, they both have valid points. The ferocity of the ball striking to me somewhat reminiscent of Nadal Fed 2017 AO Final. That being said, it is way too early to me to put either anywhere close to the big 3 and what they accomplished at the Majors and Master 1000's. Nadal FO accomplishments to me still the single most impressive record in all of sports. And Novak won every Masters 1000 twice. Just mind boggling.

Comment

Comment

I am half way through watching the replay. The standard is as high as you're going to see in my view. The first set had more errors that you might see with the Big 3 but then they are hitting at times is even harder and with a more risk-taking approach. Carlos hits the ball so cleanly and powerfully that it's a sight to behold.

It's not just about how well you can play, though. It's all about seeing what needs to be done and stepping up. I couldn't see Novak winning that Olympic medal until the last ball was struck. That massive cross court winner in the tiebreak and that match point winner from the baseline were Novak seeing what absolutely had to be done and executing. Without that outstanding tiebreak and those two shots he might have lost.

Only time will tell if we can rank Carlos and Sinner up there with the Big 3. I am optimistic, however.
                    Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 6241 users online. 3 members and 6238 guests.

Most users ever online was 139,261 at 09:55 PM on 08-18-2024.

Working...
                    X