Tokyo and Pekin, ATP 500's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokyo and Pekin, ATP 500's

In Tokyo round 1, Fils takes out Home seed Fritz in 3, Nakashima takes out Tiafoe in 2 sets, and Michelsen takes out Tsitsipas in 3. Tsitsipas completely lost his way the last 2 sets and really was not competitive. He is struggling.

Comment

In a battle of Golden Oldies, Marin Cilic, who recently became the lowest ranked player ever to win a title last week, fell to local Kei Nishikori 6-4, 3-6 6-3.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
        In Tokyo round 1, Fils takes out Home seed Fritz in 3, Nakashima takes out Tiafoe in 2 sets, and Michelsen takes out Tsitsipas in 3. Tsitsipas completely lost his way the last 2 sets and really was not competitive. He is struggling.
        Tsitsipas reportedly was ill.
        Meanwhile, Zverev left China saying he has pneumonia and that explains troubles he's been having for some time.

Comment

Stefs bh was even worse than usual. I did not see the "shot quality" numbers off that side, but I would guess it would have been dismal by ATP standards.

Comment

Lots of interesting results.

Rune had to save a match point to beat Kei Nishikori, who previously played great in beating Jordan Thompson.

Musetti lost to a wild card in Beijing, Yunnchaokete Bu, ranked 96.

Arthur Fils beat Ben Shelton. I can't figure Ben out. His serve looks so good yet he is constantly having to save break points, today he saved 16 out of 19.

That means he faced more than 1 BP per service game. What the heck? 14 aces is nearly one per service game, which looks great until you see more BPs than aces or games.

WTA in Beijing, Shnaider won the first set 6-0, then lost the match to Frech.

filedata/fetch?id=105573&d=1727630851&type=thumb
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            Last edited by jimlosaltos; 09-29-2024, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Alcaraz is certainly on form in Beijing. I watched him brutalise Griekspoor...poor bloke couldn't even a little toe in the door.
              Stotty

Comment

Just in time for Halloween, Chinese newbie "Bu" is scarring opponents ( Yes, I went there).

It's as if Yunchaokete Bu just hatched and started beating good ATP players. Today, he took out Rublev in straight sets in what I believe is his first, ever ATP 500 tournament.

Yesterday, he did the same to Musetti.

filedata/fetch?id=105581&d=1727720798&type=thumb

#

Comment

Frenchman Arthur Fils has got his Mojo Back. Beat Ben Shelton yesterday and today Holger Rune in two tiebreaks, only 3 points total separating them.

Huge forehand flies around inside the court.

filedata/fetch?id=105583&d=1727720976&type=thumb

#

Comment

I think at one time on some speed/spin chart on ATP forehands, he was right at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                      I think at one time on some speed/spin chart on ATP forehands, he was right at the top.
                      Would not be surprised. He's a beast. More like an NFL free safety than most tennis players. Nice to perhaps see Fils rebound from a 'sophomore slump'

Comment

If you're willing to tolerate an attempt at some seasonal humor, hope you enjoy. If not, best skip and my apologies.

Bu Who ?

filedata/fetch?id=105589&d=1727808329&type=thumb
                        DALLE-E ChatGPT

Like a Halloween ghost suddenly appearing, a Chinese unknown named "Bu" is spooking the ATP top 20. The nightmare became reality for world number 6 Andrey Rublev and 18th ranked Lorenzo Musetti as newbie Bu Yunchaokete sent both screaming into the night. It was only weeks ago that Buyunchaokete (his full name), born to an ethnic Mongolian family, played in his first ATP 250 winning a few, then entering his first ATP 500 in Beijing he ripped up the draw to make a semifinal on his first try.

Finally, Jannik Sinner made Bu disappear, taking out the local favorite 6-3, 7-6(3). Based on a nano-sampling, I'd say Bu may haunt the tour for some time. He traded baseline blows with Sinner as few are able to do, and vs Rublev and Musetti who have two of the better, if quite different, forehands on tour the Mongolian-Chinese 22 yo simply held the baseline and whacked them back if they were hand feeds. Here is a 'hot shot highlight' of Bu vs Sinner.

Would saying Bu is the latest tennis Cinderfella be mixing metaphors unforgivably? Then, I won't do it

Sinner faces Carlos Alcaraz in the Beijing final, after Carlos, the defending champ in Beijing, took out Daniil Medvedv in the other, less spooky, semifinal. Carlos leads their H2H 5-4 but Sinner is on a 15 match winning streak.

P.S. May you have a safer Halloween than the group in one of my favorite TV ads for this season: "Good Choices. Geico Horror Movie Commercial", 1 minute 2 second excerpt at this link with its coda "Run for The Cemetary".
                        Why can’t we just get in the running car?”
                        “ARE YOU CRAZY!?!? Let’s hide behind the chainsaws!”

The commercial is so famous it has an IMDB entry here. Carrie Wiita plays the blond with the great idea. Think she's been typecast?

Last edited by jimlosaltos; 10-01-2024, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Sinner takes 1st set in Final vs Acaraz in Pekin in tb. Quite the level of play.

Comment

Carlos in Jannik's service through out.
                            Great returning or Jannik regressing to the mean? 66% on hard courts is not good

filedata/fetch?id=105592&d=1727889209&type=thumb

Comment

I missed the match but will watch it on a replay. Apparently it was a stunningly high standard.
                              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8221 users online. 2 members and 8219 guests.

Most users ever online was 139,261 at 09:55 PM on 08-18-2024.

Working...
                              X