Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum August 2024: Stan Wawrinka One Hand Backhand

Stan Wawrinka One Hand Backhand

Is this gorgeous stroke extinct at the pro level? In the juniors? In recreational tennis? Thoughts please!

​​​
    ​​

Its top shelf. I still have Fed at #1, Gasquet at #2, and Stan #3, but all are the best ever 1 handers to me. Musetti seems to be best of the young guys, over Tsitsipas and Thiem.
    Last edited by stroke; 08-03-2024, 04:14 AM.

Comment

It seems that the one handed backhand is easier to transition to an effective backhand slice than from a two hand or two hand with release, at the recreational level at least. Or perhaps few two handers know how to be offensive with the slice. I hope the one hander backhand topspin and slice didn't peak with Federer and company, especially if new players can figure out how to approach the net successfully with it.

Comment

Worth noting that, despite a dearth of entrants, single-handed backhands won two Olympic medals this weekend -- Silver in men's doubles, and Bronze in men's singles. Not bad.

When Ram/Krajciek beat Nadlacaraz, Ram's one-handed backhand often made some of the best shots on court. Ram not only handled Rafa's lefty serve in the ad court, but it blasted drives right through Rafa and Carlos at the net.

Had to speak up for my side

Comment

I don't think it's dead as juniors using transitional, softer, balls and eastern grips can easily develop this shot and, as Tom Stow would say, 'win the collision at impact'

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
            It seems that the one handed backhand is easier to transition to an effective backhand slice than from a two hand or two hand with release, at the recreational level at least. Or perhaps few two handers know how to be offensive with the slice. I hope the one hander backhand topspin and slice didn't peak with Federer and company, especially if new players can figure out how to approach the net successfully with it.
            There is no doubt about that to me. All the best slice backhands are 1 handed bh guys, Fed, Dimitrov, Evans, Gasquet, Musetti, etc. Actually, the best slice I have ever seen from a 2 hander is Tomic, who is certainly in the conservation for most wasted talent ever. McEnroe going way back, certainly one of the best ever.
            Last edited by stroke; 08-04-2024, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I think Andy Murray has one of the best one-handed sliced backhands for a two-handed player.
              Stotty

Comment

Some random thoughts on one handers:
                Stan had the best topspin backhand by far and Fed had the best slice for their era.
                Good one hand slicers almost always have a nice backhand volley
                The big 6 foot 8 kid from France has a one hander-he can crush it.
                The big advantage the two hander has is in returning big serves and kick serves.
                Wilander had his big breakthrough in 88 when he won 3 slams is when he developed a nice slice to go with his two hander.
                I think Novaks dropper off the backhand side has really added to his game.
                I think the data shows that a lot of the one handers hit it harder off the ground than the two hander. (I might be off on that one!)
                I really don't know what I am talking about but I like to throw some stuff out there.

Comment

An RIP To the Singleton From Dimitrov & Co.

On ATP site today; "Stefanos Tsitsipas is changing his morning grooming routine. Denis Shapovalov is finding it difficult to complete simple tasks. Dominic Thiem is hilariously frustrated. Why?

“The single-handed backhand is dead,” Grigor Dimitrov joked in the latest ATP Tour feature.”We’ve been trying to use two hands everywhere we can!”

Dominic Thiem: "A true artist can not create art with two F*** hands."

Last edited by jimlosaltos; 08-09-2024, 08:55 AM.

Comment

That was funny.

Comment

I have one word to describe this backhand:
                      WOW!

Technically it's as good as good can be. I never get tired of watching it.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA, PTR
                      SETS Consulting
                      Boca Raton, FL

Comment

Ditto and here is something on YouTube that is actually funny...

Comment

Brad Gilbert has a thread on his picks for 'Best One Handed Backhand". Here's his list.

Brad Gilbert

My list for best one-handed bachands, let’s say from 1980

1 Fed
                          2 Stanimal
                          3 Edberg
                          4 Mac
                          5 Lendl now gets tricky 6-10
                          6 Boris
                          7 Haas
                          8 Gaudio
                          9 Gasquet
                          10 Al Costa, this just off the top head probably forgetting a few like Stich and Kohly 2more good ones

Later in response to suggestion for Guga, Brad has this: "got Guga at 3 bachand was amazing clay number one for that surface but drops to 3 because on faster courts struggled a bit with it but a a great one hander for sure.

And to a critic of Fed's, BG said: "not even close or debatable Fed bachand by far best with variety and return of service"​

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                            Brad Gilbert has a thread on his picks for 'Best One Handed Backhand". Here's his list.

Brad Gilbert

My list for best one-handed bachands, let’s say from 1980

1 Fed
                            2 Stanimal
                            3 Edberg
                            4 Mac
                            5 Lendl now gets tricky 6-10
                            6 Boris
                            7 Haas
                            8 Gaudio
                            9 Gasquet
                            10 Al Costa, this just off the top head probably forgetting a few like Stich and Kohly 2more good ones

Later in response to suggestion for Guga, Brad has this: "got Guga at 3 bachand was amazing clay number one for that surface but drops to 3 because on faster courts struggled a bit with it but a a great one hander for sure.

And to a critic of Fed's, BG said: "not even close or debatable Fed bachand by far best with variety and return of service"​
                            I have always been torn between Stan's and Roger's. I think Roger's is more versatile and brilliant on the fly. But when Stan has his legs under him a unleashes a haymaker it's a sight to behold.
                            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

I have always been torn between Stan's and Roger's. I think Roger's is more versatile and brilliant on the fly. But when Stan has his legs under him a unleashes a haymaker it's a sight to behold.
                              Personally, I believe "returns" should be a separate category from groundstrokes. They're sufficiently important and distinct from a groundstroke.

To me, it's as misleading as saying someone's forehand is weak because they have a poor forehand volley.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 6487 users online. 8 members and 6479 guests.

Most users ever online was 139,261 at 09:55 PM on 08-18-2024.

Working...
                              X