X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Was Musetti blocking returns again?
    How deep was he returning from?

i thought Fritz might be better prepared thus time.
    He just was the better player. Clearly Fritz really wanted this one. That one stung.

Comment

This is curious. Danielle Collins retired in singles vs Iga but is now playing -- and leading -- women's doubles.
      I suppose one can recover from many things. But retiring at the Olympics then playing shortly thereafter?
      Haven't seen any reports.

Comment

This is curious. Danielle Collins retired in singles vs Iga but is now playing -- and leading -- women's doubles.
        I suppose one can recover from many things. But retiring at the Olympics then playing shortly thereafter?
        Haven't seen any reports.
        No words

Comment

Musetti continues his purple patch with a 2 set win over Zverev. His backhand obviously is as good as any one hander out there, but his slice backhand is truly special. Most consider Evans and Dimitrov have the best slice bh out there now that Fed is gone, but Musetti's may be the best. His technique is very similar to Fed with the severe downward racquet path.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
            Musetti continues his purple patch with a 2 set win over Zverev. His backhand obviously is as good as any one hander out there, but his slice backhand is truly special. Most consider Evans and Dimitrov have the best slice bh out there now that Fed is gone, but Musetti's may be the best. His technique is very similar to Fed with the severe downward racquet path.
            Yes! A bit like Fed, Lorenzo hits multiple slices, uses it in different ways. I haven't yet seen today's match, but Wimbledon vs Fritz was a tad, dare I say it, "Fed like", the way he moved the taller Fritz diagonally, in part by using his low slice backhand - sometimes deep, some times angled to no-man's land.

When it works, he's making opponents play their least favorite shots.

Update: Just checked. Lorenzo had more backhand winners than Zverev, with his great two-hander, 9--7 and won 26/27 (96%) behind his second serve. That's dominating rallies.
            Last edited by jimlosaltos; 08-01-2024, 09:14 AM.

Comment

The unbeatable on clay, Iga Swiatek, only recently crowned French Open champ on this same Roland Garros, Philippe Chatrier court is out.

Zheng Qinwen beat her 2 and 5. Zheng was in Iga's service game through out, with 13 breakpoints in only two sets, and holding Iga to only 4 points won on 18 second serve attempts. That's always been the weak spot in Iga's armor -- if you've got the weapons to attack it.

I simply MUST point out that we did a Tour Portrait of the young upstart, now 21 yo, about a year ago.

A sample from the TPN portrait, my pic from San Jose when she was a teen ager.

filedata/fetch?id=105062&d=1722532001&type=thumb
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              Last edited by jimlosaltos; 08-01-2024, 09:11 AM.

Comment

The unbeatable on clay, Iga Swiatek, only recently crowned French Open champ on this same Roland Garros, Philippe Chatrier court is out.

Zheng Qinwen beat her 2 and 5. Zheng was in Iga's service game through out, with 13 breakpoints in only two sets, and holding Iga to only 4 points won on 18 second serve attempts. That's always been the weak spot in Iga's armor -- if you've got the weapons to attack it.

I simply MUST point out that we did a Tour Portrait of the young upstart, now 21 yo, about a year ago.

A sample from the TPN portrait, my pic from San Jose when she was a teen ager.

filedata/fetch?id=105062&d=1722532001&type=thumb
                That looks like the Fritz/Iga forehand grip.

Comment

Novak wins the 1st set routinely vs Tsitsipas, but now he appears to be wincing in pain from a slight slip. Oh the drama. Can he power through this injury?

Comment

Novak wins the 1st set routinely vs Tsitsipas, but now he appears to be wincing in pain from a slight slip. Oh the drama. Can he power through this injury?
                    Usual routine. We can't expect it to change this late in the day in Novak's career. The main thing to understand is that there has never been anything wrong with him in any of the countless dramas. In fact, he's probably the healthiest player out there.
                    Stotty

Comment

Novak advises he "will need a miracle" to finish the tournament, but he did say "miracles do happen ".

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Usual routine. We can't expect it to change this late in the day in Novak's career. The main thing to understand is that there has never been anything wrong with him in any of the countless dramas. In fact, he's probably the healthiest player out there.
                        Carlos beat FAA 6-1 6-1. As I thought nothing too interesting there.

Novak versus Musetti might be interesting so long has Novak hasn't psyched Musetti with his injury. As Murray said, ''I always knew he was faking things yet fell for it every time''.​
                        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Carlos beat FAA 6-1 6-1. As I thought nothing too interesting there.

Novak versus Musetti might be interesting so long has Novak hasn't psyched Musetti with his injury. As Murray said, ''I always knew he was faking things yet fell for it every time''.​
                          All that is needed to fix this very annoying and possibly gamesmanship "medical timeout", is just simply do away with medical timeouts. It is the only fix at this point.

Comment

That looks like the Fritz/Iga forehand grip.
                            Sure does. Catching on?

Comment

All that is needed to fix this very annoying and possibly gamesmanship "medical timeout", is just simply do away with medical timeouts. It is the only fix at this point.
                              Speaking of medical time outs and gamesmanship, I came across more on the strange ending to Iga-vs Collins. No one I know watched it, so that's all I've got.

Here's the sequence:

1) Collins hit Iga in the stomach with a full swing volley. Iga fell to the ground and couldn't breathe for a while.
                              2) Collins retired with what she described as "full body cramps", which she blamed on not getting cold water in the PRIOR match.
                              3) Collins then confronted Iga at the net. Later Collins described this as berating Iga over her "fakeness", and not being genuine is her concern for Collins injury. Collins also ridiculed Iga for taking a long bathroom break and for once holding up her hand to interrupt Collins serve. (Which Iga does from time to time - what I call "the Rafa wave".
                              4) Collins left the court under her own power, at least in highlight video i saw. She played doubles only a few hours later.
                              5) Iga seemed genuinely upset by the accusations later.
                              6) Iga then lost her next match to Zheng, who she had a 6-0 record against, hitting an extremely uncharacteristic 36 UFEs. Today, Iga won the Bronze Medal "consolation" round.

Here is Collins lecture at the net and Iga's obvious surprise, 5 sec vid.

Per Poland's "Interia" Iga said: “Honestly, I don't know what she meant, because we didn't even have any interactions that could have caused her to say that to me,” Swiatek said according to Poland’s Interia.​

For context: Iga is prone to tearful breakdowns, while Danielle is prone to scream at most everyone in sight during matches, chair umpire, lines people, fans, even her own fans - and has never seen a shot of hers go out that wasn't someone else's fault.

Here is a photo of Iga knocked down, losing her breath when hit by Collins in the 1st game of the third set.

filedata/fetch?id=105074&d=1722615600&type=thumb

#
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.
                              Last edited by jimlosaltos; 08-02-2024, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Olympic doubles update.

Fritz/Paul out to Aussies Ebden/Peers ending the dream of an all American men's doubles final.

In women's doubles the pick up team with a combined age of 37 years old is into the finals -- two no-flags thrown together Mirra Andreeva and Diana Shnaider.
                                Will meet the Italians, youngster and Wimby finalist Paolini with -- wait for it -- Sara Errani. Yes, she's still playing. Haven't seen her serve in ages. That could get ah, interesting.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8146 users online. 7 members and 8139 guests.

Most users ever online was 139,261 at 09:55 PM on 08-18-2024.

Working...
                                X