What is ISR? The Backhand Volley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is ISR? The Backhand Volley

Would love to get your thoughts on my latest article, "What is ISR? The Backhand Volley"

Good morning John
    How cool is that!
    Just enough spice to make coaches think and stay focus on what really happens
    Thank you sharing your experience
    Rodolphe

Comment

rodolphe,
      Thanks! Keep posting!
      John

Comment

Fantastic article on the backhand volley! Really feel the “keep your racket in front” is worst coaching advice used. At younger ages kids can’t get as close to net and need to be able to give pace to volleys. Just bunting the ball back is going to get the kids passed or lobbed repeatedly therefore they quit going to net. I have used system 5 since the 80’s and find it very effective in developing junior volleys (and adults).

Comment

It occurs to me there are now kind of two types of volleys. There are singles volleys, for lack of a better term, as you've described here, John, and there are New Doubles Volleys? (not really registered, I'm only kidding). The latter are the consequence of (especially men's, but not exclusively) doubles played with the volleyer so much closer to the net that their volleys are more accurately described as "redirects," and don't involve any significant shoulder turn or take back. Joe Salisbury's forehand volley at about 0:39 in this vid is what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjN4q_qGEW4 . In that scenario, the racquet actually does stay in front. Of course it only works when one is right on top of the net, but it's so much a part-and-parcel of modern tennis that to ignore it, and its differences from "singles volleys," is to pass over a real lynchpin of today's play.

Comment

Originally posted by tennisskip1515 View Post
            It occurs to me there are now kind of two types of volleys. There are singles volleys, for lack of a better term, as you've described here, John, and there are New Doubles Volleys? (not really registered, I'm only kidding). The latter are the consequence of (especially men's, but not exclusively) doubles played with the volleyer so much closer to the net that their volleys are more accurately described as "redirects," and don't involve any significant shoulder turn or take back. Joe Salisbury's forehand volley at about 0:39 in this vid is what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjN4q_qGEW4 . In that scenario, the racquet actually does stay in front. Of course it only works when one is right on top of the net, but it's so much a part-and-parcel of modern tennis that to ignore it, and its differences from "singles volleys," is to pass over a real lynchpin of today's play.
            Good point. Doubles volleying is more reflexive than singles volleying, much more. Singles volleying always looks more composed, mostly because players move in behind overwhelming force to, essentially, mop up. In doubles volleying movement is much more dynamic and the pace of play is frighteningly quick...players really close down the net ever so quickly when the opportunities arise. It's fast, furious, and quite scary to be involved in.
            Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8262 users online. 6 members and 8256 guests.

Most users ever online was 139,261 at 09:55 PM on 08-18-2024.

Working...
            X