No announcement yet.

Wimbledon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that was impressive by the Wall of Med. And I love the Wall's complete lack of celebration after a 4 hour win. His game is so similar to Novak in lockdown mode, but without all the annoying drama.
    Last edited by stroke; 07-09-2024, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
      Well that was impressive by the Wall of Med. And I love the Wall's complete lack of celebration after a 4 hour win. His game is so similar to Novak in lockdown mode, but without all the annoying drama.
      Agree (Particularly about the drama).

Peculiar match. The kind where Sinner won most every stat -- except the one stat guys say has the highest correlation, number of first serve points WON ( NOT % won, not % in).

Medvedev went after Sinner's backhand return, despite Sinner having the highest rated backhand overall per the ATP stats you shared.

That's 42 points won by Medvedev serving to Sinner backhand in the ad court with 1st and 2nd combined.

Every point Medvedev on his second serve to the ad court was to Sinner's backhand.

filedata/fetch?id=104884&d=1720545984&type=thumb

#
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.
      Last edited by jimlosaltos; 07-09-2024, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Alcaraz vs Paul perhaps shouldn't surprise since their H2H is even at 2-2.
        Serving is a whole level lower than the other semifinal.

Alcaraz is winning the same percentage behind his second serve as his first (both at 62% now early in the fourth set, although his second had been ahead of the first until now).

It's confusing to me that Alcaraz can hit in the 130 MPHs, yet his first serve frequently isn't a weapon. Thought he had fixed that at Roland Garros.

Alcaraz has been broken 4 times, which is often enough to lose a match on grass, but Alcaraz has had 25 break points vs Paul, winning 7.

filedata/fetch?id=104886&d=1720546946&type=thumb
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Agree (Particularly about the drama).

Peculiar match. The kind where Sinner won most every stat -- except the one stat guys say has the highest correlation, number of first serve points WON ( NOT % won, not % in).

Medvedev went after Sinner's backhand return, despite Sinner having the highest rated backhand overall per the ATP stats you shared.

That's 42 points won by Medvedev serving to Sinner backhand in the ad court with 1st and 2nd combined.

Every point Medvedev on his second serve to the ad court was to Sinner's backhand.

filedata/fetch?id=104884&d=1720545984&type=thumb

#
          Med's knows his best serve is the wide flat serve, particularly to the ad side(Nick, who imo is a much better commentator than player), pointed that out. Med to his credit believes in doing what does best. One cannot really coach or fake self belief.

Comment

Med's knows his best serve is the wide flat serve, particularly to the ad side(Nick, who imo is a much better commentator than player), pointed that out. Med to his credit believes in doing what does best. One cannot really coach or fake self belief.
            Well put.

Did not see while I was this popping in and out {and muting announcers while I worked}. Sinner was sick.

Per WImby site:
            Broken for 1-2, Sinner at last called the trainer. Yet instead of indicating an injury, he described something which prompted his oxygen level to be monitored and his pulse to be taken. Clutching his brow and looking clammy, Sinner left the court with the medical staff. No medical timeout was announced.

“This morning I didn’t feel great,” Sinner explained later. “I didn't want to go off but the physio told me better to take some time because I didn’t seem in shape to play. I was struggling physically. I didn’t vomit, no. I was quite dizzy but you don’t want to retire in a quarter-final of a Grand Slam.”

And this:
            “You can’t beat Jannik easy. At one moment he was not feeling good but I knew that could change. You want to make him suffer a bit more – in a good way. But everything is well when it ends well, so I’m pretty happy.”

-- Daniil Medvedev​

I can't recall seeing so many players get ill as I have this year. Perhaps they just didn't report them before. Several food poisonings. Casper Ruud with a parasite that lasted weeks. Now this.
            Last edited by jimlosaltos; 07-09-2024, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Betting odds.

Comment

de Minaur pulls out with a hip injury. What a bummer. I was looking forward to watching that one.
                Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                  de Minaur pulls out with a hip injury. What a bummer. I was looking forward to watching that one.
                  Me, too. Real shame. Demon's injury came on match point, too.

Yet another player hurt by slipping on the slick grass. "Alex de Minaur's injury came on match point of his previous round against Arthur Fils. He went to slide into the ball – it was match point, after all, and he was giving it his all – and the cartilage tore between his abs and his adductor.​"

Players are saying that when the roof is closed during the rain that the grass gets wet and unsafe. Wimbledon is saying that doesn't happen because of their great ventilation system.

This from a freelance journalist, I believe after Dimitrov tore up his knee:

"Indoor grass remains the most dangerous surface in tennis, as the last few minutes have shown once again,"
                  -- Ben Rothenberg

Comment

Perfect "treatment" for a bum knee, Djokovic is into the semifinals without having met a player in the top 10, and gets an extra day off.
                    The average ranking of his opponents is 143. Oddly, the highest ranked player Novak faced, Rune, gave him the least resistance.

Djokovic Draw

R1 _ Alex Bolt rank 234
                    R2 _ Jacob Feeney rank 277
                    R3_ Alexei Popryn rank 47
                    R4_ Holger Rune rank 15

Q - Alex De Minaur WO​

Comment

Top serve speeds for the men aren't likely to change much going forward, so here you go.

At least 23 ATP players are serving over 130 MPH, with Shelton and Mpetshi Perricard hitting 140 MPH.

Juncheng "Jerry" Shang made the list at 132 MPH and he's 5 ft 11 in and 162 lbs.

filedata/fetch?id=104902&d=1720630440&type=thumb

#

Comment

I really thought Taylor was going to win that match, but Lorenzo certainly earned it with his beautiful game. Lorenzo loves to stay back a la Gasquet and produce his shots, and Taylor let him do it too much.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Me, too. Real shame. Demon's injury came on match point, too.

Yet another player hurt by slipping on the slick grass. "Alex de Minaur's injury came on match point of his previous round against Arthur Fils. He went to slide into the ball – it was match point, after all, and he was giving it his all – and the cartilage tore between his abs and his adductor.​"

Players are saying that when the roof is closed during the rain that the grass gets wet and unsafe. Wimbledon is saying that doesn't happen because of their great ventilation system.

This from a freelance journalist, I believe after Dimitrov tore up his knee:

"Indoor grass remains the most dangerous surface in tennis, as the last few minutes have shown once again,"
                          -- Ben Rothenberg
                          When I first went to Wimbledon in the 70's play would often go on in drizzle or even light rain. Player's would skate around here and there but it was generally accepted that playing in drizzle was the norm. One drop of rain these days and the players are straight off. What was once accepted is now perilously dangerous it seems. It's what I most dislike about modern tennis...that it's gone all soft.
                          Last edited by stotty; 07-10-2024, 11:50 AM.
                          Stotty

Comment

I really thought Taylor was going to win that match, but Lorenzo certainly earned it with his beautiful game. Lorenzo loves to stay back a la Gasquet and produce his shots, and Taylor let him do it too much.
                            I missed the match but had Fritz down to win that one, mainly because of Musetti's deep court positioning, which is far from optimal for grass. Could Fritz not take advantage of that?
                            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

I missed the match but had Fritz down to win that one, mainly because of Musetti's deep court positioning, which is far from optimal for grass. Could Fritz not take advantage of that?
                              I haven't seen it yet. But Musetti must be doing something right on returns. He beat two of the best servers around, Gio and Fritz, back to back.

Held Mpetshi Perricard to 10 aces and Fritz only won 65% on first serves and Fritz had fewer break points (4/9 vs 6/13 )

Comment

Largest age difference in a semi at Wimbledon in open era

filedata/fetch?id=104908&d=1720642264&type=thumb

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7728 users online. 7 members and 7721 guests.

Most users ever online was 139,261 at 09:55 PM on 08-18-2024.

Working...
                                X