No announcement yet.

Wimbledon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fritz looks good as a real dark horse in this tournament. He is playing very well. He has a good matchup round 3, probably Zverev in 4th round looking ahead. If he gets past that, looking at Novak in the semis.

Comment

Tiafoe up 2 sets to 1 over Alcaraz. This would certainly be the best win of his career if he can finish it.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
        Tiafoe up 2 sets to 1 over Alcaraz. This would certainly be the best win of his career if he can finish it.
        Soooo close. Reminds me of their great match at the US Open years back, Carlos comes back in five: 5-7, 6-2, 4-6, 7-6(2), 6-2

Tiafoe was at the net 54 times ! (35/54)

Comment

Fritz looks good as a real dark horse in this tournament. He is playing very well. He has a good matchup round 3, probably Zverev in 4th round looking ahead. If he gets past that, looking at Novak in the semis.
          Fritz AND Tommy Paul (straight sets over Bublik today).

Plus, talk about blast from the past, Madison Keys ! ! !

You'd think it was July 4th or something

Comment

Grigor and his beautiful game routines Monfils. What could his career have looked like without the big 3?

Comment

Sinner is looking every bit the number 1 player and the favorite to win Wimbledon. He is playing ping pong out there, just suffocating Kremanovic taking away time off both sides. I am thinking Sinner plays like Fed off both sides, taking away so much time, with a better backhand.
              Last edited by stroke; 07-05-2024, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Don't look now, but Emma Raducanu​ looks like she's for real. This time.

Remember when she beat Maria Sakkari to make the US Open finals? She beat Maria again today to make the Wimby last 16.

Emma: “I think today is up there with the most fun I’ve had on a tennis court,” beamed Raducanu. “I really enjoyed every single moment. I was just telling myself, how many times are you going to get to play in front of a full Centre Court?

“I’m most proud of that I was so focused, so determined in every single point, every single moment. I knew playing Maria, she’s a top 10 opponent, in a way, I came in with a free swing, but she’s so tough, she has amazing weapons and I knew I had to battle and fight hard. I tried not to let the scoreline effect me. You have to play every point like its your last. Not to be dramatic, but…”

Comment

Sheldon up 2 sets to 1 over Shaprolova. Sheldon is really serving well. He may have the best lefty kick serve to the deuce court ever. It is kicking out way wide to Shaprolova one handed backhand. Shap has no answer for it, a real problem for him.

Comment

Great match by both, great win for Sheldon. Up next, Sinner.

Comment

Zverev defeats Cam Norrie in a very cagey third set tiebreak. Zverev was extremely passive in rallies and one wonders why as he has so much more firepower than Norrie. He was lucky to get through the final set playing that way as it plays right into Norrie's hands.
                      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                        Don't look now, but Emma Raducanu​ looks like she's for real. This time.

Remember when she beat Maria Sakkari to make the US Open finals? She beat Maria again today to make the Wimby last 16.

Emma: “I think today is up there with the most fun I’ve had on a tennis court,” beamed Raducanu. “I really enjoyed every single moment. I was just telling myself, how many times are you going to get to play in front of a full Centre Court?

“I’m most proud of that I was so focused, so determined in every single point, every single moment. I knew playing Maria, she’s a top 10 opponent, in a way, I came in with a free swing, but she’s so tough, she has amazing weapons and I knew I had to battle and fight hard. I tried not to let the scoreline effect me. You have to play every point like its your last. Not to be dramatic, but…”
                        I just think Emma, like many players, is so soundbite conscious that it can be a distraction. The best thing tennis players can do, especially ones with expectations on their back, is to read no opinion pieces or view any social media, and simply concentrate with the job in hand. I am not sure if pressers are compulsory for players but if they aren't it would be a good idea never to attend any.
                        Stotty

Comment

GMP, with the best serve in the tournament, on to the round of 16. He looks like he goes about 6'8", 220 pounds, and very calmly athletic. He also had a top tier forehand, with what appears to me high rpm's.

Comment

Great match by both, great win for Sheldon. Up next, Sinner.
                            Father-son history adds some human interest.

Shelton beat Shapo " 6-7(4), 6-2, 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 victory in just over three hours. Exactly 30 years after his father Bryan reached the fourth round here, Shelton Junior will face world No.1 Jannik Sinner in the last 16.​

Comment

GMP, with the best serve in the tournament, on to the round of 16. He looks like he goes about 6'8", 220 pounds, and very calmly athletic. He also had a top tier forehand, with what appears to me high rpm's.
                              I vote for using his nickname "Gio"

"Only" 27 aces today on 24 serve games (adding one for a tiebreak), or over an ace per game (down from his last 3 matches). Gio finally rated a court that has Hawkeye, and reports service speed, so we have --

Gio hit 140 MPH max, 125 MPH average (down from 134 MPH ave at Stuttgart per ATP) -- and he hit one second serve at 136 MPH. Won 84% first serve points. Two of his aces were on second serve.

Not half bad for a Lucky Loser !

That compares to Zverev, who got 15 aces, 135 MPH Max, 128 MPH ave, won 71% of firsts

Comment

Wall of Med stands strong vs Struff, who is a poster child to me of ATP and what it takes to get it done. Struff has a huge game, great technique, and an average ATP career.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8051 users online. 7 members and 8044 guests.

Most users ever online was 139,261 at 09:55 PM on 08-18-2024.

Working...
                                X