Gavin MacMillan (Sport Science Lab) - Platform vs. Pinpoint Stance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gavin MacMillan (Sport Science Lab) - Platform vs. Pinpoint Stance

Click on the link below from the Tennis Summit 2024. Gavin MacMillan discusses his thoughts on platform vs. pinpoint stance. His discussion starts at the 5:03 mark.

Originally posted by seano View Post
    Click on the link below from the Tennis Summit 2024. Gavin MacMillan discusses his thoughts on platform vs. pinpoint stance. His discussion starts at the 5:03 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awvzb56E5-8&t=303s
    Good vid. Thanks.

Machine transcription of one chunk: like that usually will start with a platform if you know if you could go back to start over with Arena from5:36
    ground you know from the very beginning would you want or using a platform I think so it's not that you can't make it5:41
    work it's just there's move more moving parts and people confuse the momentum of moving up with their right you know push5:49
    if you're right-handed for instance pushing your right foot up but what happens a lot of times you push up and then you got your weight on your left5:55
    foot too soon
    so that's not that's not good you have to move move that up and​

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awvzb56E5-8&t=303s
      Super interesting interview. I haven't watched it all yet but intend to. Interesting how Gavin aludes to the fact it isn't all about power but also about putting serves in difficult spots to force a weak return.

I always teach platform these days. Platform is easier for most and there's far less to go wrong than with pinpoint.
      Stotty

Comment

Oh boy. Here we go. The word salad. Way too much to even start to analyse...but I will say this. This business of his "fixing" the Russian girl's serve is all over the internet and he is staking his reputation as another "Serve Doctor" on this supposed fix. It didn't happen. There was no discernible change in the motion from what I could detect after examining before after video. I wonder if his fix is the cause of the injury that only affects her serve and has caused her to withdraw from Wimbledon. I suspect that the critique that I wrote on her serve found its way into his possession via a forum contributor and then I thought I detected some little changes in the direction I was pointing.

I find the fixation with power and simplistic ideas about the service motion to be limiting. A snippet here and a snippet there complete with references to a Sampras or Federer motion is not really an analysis. No original thought. I didn't finish the video. I saw about half of it. Enough to know it was more of the same. I get the feeling that this guy is a solid high school coach or even a junior college coach. Maybe university. Let's face it...the bar isn't set to high these days. By admission he didn't have the luck of having a great mentor. This is where understanding begins. I saw a statement from Roger on Facebook today. Gee...where have I heard that before. Does the expression..."mind numbing backcourt rallies sound familiar". How about "dreadfully monotonous"? It sort of figures as I was in Roger's head for about 13 years here on the forum.

image.png

When Roger retired it was like Elvis leaving the stadium. The game of tennis can be put to rest now. It is over. They killed it with all of the monkeying around with the equipment. The engineering. Roger was the last remaining link. The Living Proof. Now it is dead. The book is William Tilden. The model is Richard Gonzalez with the Don Budge backhand. Harry Hopman is the coach. Roger Federer is the Living Proof. And I am don_budge.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8275 users online. 6 members and 8269 guests.

Most users ever online was 139,261 at 09:55 PM on 08-18-2024.

Working...
        X