Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winning Pretty Part 2: Origins of Technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winning Pretty Part 2: Origins of Technique?

Let's discuss the latest in Chris Lewit's series, "Winning Pretty Part 2: Origins of Technique?"

I will check in periodically to answer questions. Thanks everyone.

Chris

Comment

An interesting article for sure.

One aspect missing in the puzzle for me is the unique physiology of each player. You cannot clone a stroke of a great player because that great player is physically built in certain way while you are physically built in a different way. Players can't imitate the serve of Pete Sampras because most don't have that off the charts shoulder flexibility...not even Roger. Restrictions and limitations like this lie all over the place in tennis. One only has to look a Borg's shoulders to see how they might have aided his forehand. What he was doing wasn't easy with a diddy wooden racket and those broad shoulders likely helped a lot.

I used to coach from my own playing experience but these days trust the science far more. I am getting better results reaching for the science.

It's a tricky call letting the 'natural player' run with his/her own method. Lennart said Borg was stubborn and wouldn't change so he just let him run with it. I have had stubborn players too...almost all hit a technical cul-de-sac. For every Borg there are probably a thousand that fall by the wayside.
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

One aspect missing in the puzzle for me is the unique physiology of each player. You cannot clone a stroke of a great player because that great player is physically built in certain way while you are physically built in a different way. Players can't imitate the serve of Pete Sampras because most don't have that off the charts shoulder flexibility...not even Roger. Restrictions and limitations like this lie all over the place in tennis. One only has to look a Borg's shoulders to see how they might have aided his forehand. What he was doing wasn't easy with a diddy wooden racket and those broad shoulders likely helped a lot.

I used to coach from my own playing experience but these days trust the science far more. I am getting better results reaching for the science.

It's a tricky call letting the 'natural player' run with his/her own method. Lennart said Borg was stubborn and wouldn't change so he just let him run with it. I have had stubborn players too...almost all hit a technical cul-de-sac. For every Borg there are probably a thousand that fall by the wayside.
        Good thoughts. Thanks. Letting a natural player run is one of the toughest calls for a technical coach—for sure.

As for modeling a top player, I think it can work but always respecting the individual’s physical limitations as you allude to.

Chris

Comment

Hello,
          The article mentioned that the first tennis instructional book was published in 1914. I have a tennis book entitled Lawn Tennis As a Game of Skill that was published in 1885. The book was edited by Richard D. Sears, an American tennis player who won the U.S. National Championships in its first seven years from 1881-1887. Sears wrote the forward to the book, and assisted the author S.C.F. Peile with the instruction. The book has some good pointers, and it is in good condition.

Norman Ashbrooke

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

You make the case for sport science collecting physiological profile data. People don't like that kind of profiling, but one just needs to know the limits of its application. Pro team sports now have access to physiological profile data developed down to the level of position and from youth to adult ages. Individual sports are behind.

Comment

Norm thanks for the correction.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7511 users online. 8 members and 7503 guests.

Most users ever online was 139,261 at 09:55 PM on 08-18-2024.

Working...
              X