Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stroke
    replied
    Pat, could you give examples of pro servers who in your opinion are using your "preferred serve technique"? I think it could very very informative and helpful. I am thinking Hurcatz a great example. And Kyrgios.
    Last edited by stroke; 06-23-2024, 06:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• patdougherty
    replied
    The hip flexor stretch emulates the power of the arc in the pole vaulters pole loading and snapping the upper body up into contact. The arc is more critical in this type serve than having a deep knee bend load. The knee bend can conflict with the upward chest alignment to contact.

As far as the lower back, you are not stressing the lower back because when done correctly there's no arching of lower spine. Done incorrectly, the stretch point can happen more in the abdomen area and pull muscles in stomach region. Not to say your your hip flexors muscles can't become strained without adequate warmup and stretching. You can pre-set the position of the the hips stiretched forward into the arc before the toss as a development exercise.

In reference to Kovacs views, the back foot side tends to thrust the body more forward than upward and can create double fulcrum conflicts with the thrust upward of the front side. The back leg provides additional bale and a second point of contact with the ground which helps facilitate powerful hip rotation but is not a big contributor to upward thrust in the Pinpoint. Thanks for the feedback!
    Last edited by patdougherty; 06-26-2024, 07:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ten1050
    replied
    Hello,
    I really enjoyed the serving video. The swing thought that a player should serve up the mountain was especially helpful. Congratulations on a great video.

Sincerely,

Norman Ashbrooke

Leave a comment:

• clewit
    replied
    Hi Pat,

I am enjoying your very good articles and videos. Thanks for sharing them.

1. I have not seen any serve research that shows a major correlation between stretching of the front hip flexors and power on the serve. I'm curious how you concluded that this link was vital. It makes sense that those hip flexors are put on stretch and get activated, but wouldn't the core muscles like the obliques play at least the same or even a larger role in power development during the shoulder-over-shoulder or somersault movement of the trunk and shoulders?

2. Mark Kovacs has noted that the back leg loading and the speed of the back hip moving vertically is critical to racquet head speed development. Do you see an important role for the back leg in addition to the importance you noted of using the front leg well?

3. Is there any injury risk to the lower back when trying to get the chest back to pre-stretch the hip flexors of the front leg? How do you safely guide students to get the chest up and back without stressing the lower back?

Thanks for your comments

Chris

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    started a topic Detailing the First 6 Serve Checkpoints

Detailing the First 6 Serve Checkpoints

Let's discuss Pat Dougherty's article, "Detailing the First 6 Serve Checkpoints"

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8356 users online. 6 members and 8350 guests.

Most users ever online was 139,261 at 09:55 PM on 08-18-2024.

Working...
X