Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jimlosaltos
    replied
    One caveat I'll note here. We focused on the top 10 ATP players because they're important, visible, and it keeps the effort manageable.

But a number of players we're covered in the past, ones that hit with either or both great velocity and spin, players whose numbers were near or at the top in prior reports, have dropped out of the top rankings.

Domi Thiem, Matteo Berrettini, and Sasha Zverev, all felled by quite different injuries and with careers on different trajectories are key among them.

Thiem regularly hit one of and often the highest forehand topspin on tour, averaging higher than Rafa and I've seen peak RPMs of 4,900 for his shot. Berrettini has hit 3,900 RPMs on forehands (I can't recall averages) and maintained an average of 90 MPHs for most if not all of a match. Zverev has topped many backhand stats for some time.

Looks like Matteo and Zverev are nearing a return to form, while we may have seen Peak Thiem come and go.

Leave a comment:

• jimlosaltos
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffreycounts View Post
    The spin on Rudd's backhand is crazy! You can see in the clip how is almost using a windshield wiper motion on it. With his 80mph forehand and huge spin two hander no wonder he keeps getting to Grand Slam finals.

I'm going to be pondering this numbers for a bit. Great article!
    Thanks ! Please share any thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• stroke
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffreycounts View Post
    The spin on Rudd's backhand is crazy! You can see in the clip how is almost using a windshield wiper motion on it. With his 80mph forehand and huge spin two hander no wonder he keeps getting to Grand Slam finals.

Yes, I think these numbers go a long way towards explaining how Ruud has been able to achieve and maintain his high ranking. He hits such a heavy quality ball with so much margin obviously. I would like to see this info on Chris Eubanks numbers. He seems to be blasting winners at quite the clip off both sides(along with his serve).
    Last edited by stroke; 08-03-2023, 04:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jeffreycounts
    replied

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    started a topic Speed and Spin in the Current Men’s Game

Speed and Spin in the Current Men’s Game

Let's discuss Jim Fawcette's latest article, "Speed and Spin in the Current Men’s Game"!

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 6612 users online. 3 members and 6609 guests.

Most users ever online was 139,261 at 09:55 PM on 08-18-2024.

Working...
X